Tuesday, March 5, 2013

New Chandelier & DIY Rope Light Chain Cover

The other day the Hubby and I were browsing Lowes. I honestly don't even remember what we were there for because I found this chandelier.


It was $39.98! Sadly there were none left. Sad day... When we got home I looked it up on the 
mean machine-
yes that's a Fifty Shades of Grey reference...

On the Lowes website it's $79.96. Obviously there was no chance of ordering it online when it was half the price in store - I started to wonder if it was a typo at the store. I saw that another store had it in stock so the next day while the kids were at school we went straight there. They had one, it was $39.98 and it automatically went into my cart. The hubby thought it was pretty funny how determined I was - nobody else was going to get my chandelier! 
A month ago I saw this post from The Lettered Cottage about their chandelier in their sunroom. Instead of hanging it by the chain they used a rope covered chandelier pole that they got from their friend for $20.  


I think it looks so beautiful and rustic and I want it!


Of course I didn't want to pay $50 for it so I started to think of a way to make it myself. All it took was some pvc pipe, black spray paint, hot glue and manila rope. 

***********************

First we figured out how long the chain was going to hang from the ceiling. We measured it out to be 20 1/4" and cut the pvc pipe that length. I took some black spray paint and sprayed the ends so that you wouldn't see any white. 


Kinda a bad picture but you get the idea. After that it was just hot glue and wrapping - a lot like my Jute Christmas Ornament. The rope I used was pretty thick - 1/4" and when I first started wrapping I had to hold it down until it dried otherwise it would't stick. After I was done wrapping we just put the pipe over the chain and hung it up.


We went from this


to this


for around $55! One of the bulbs didn't work and we haven't gone to get more so yes it's one short in this picture. But it doesn't matter - I absolutely LOVE it!!! I can't stop looking at it. Now go wrap something with rope it's amazing!!! Seriously it's addicting next I'll show you how to wrap your children or some lamps whichever works best...

I hope everyone is having a good week!

LoveYa









1 comment: